6/22/1999

Issue One ( I )

^ CLICK TO READ ^
(22 PAGES)
Welcome to the Annotated Crumbs #1, I'm your host KevinG. Written and drawn when I was 19, so please forgive all the roughness. According to the synopsis in the official ApocaParty handout - "Crumbs begins with a talking skull, telling us it’s story. Seems his name is Chuck,one of the few survivors of the Apocalypse, until he shot himself. His story begins with him finding the last 7-11 in the Silicon Valley. Inside a couple of parents are bartering with the owner, who offers to buy their daughter for some food. They agree, while our hero promptly buys her freedom in exchange for one of his bullets. She is Becky, and she gets her revenge by blowing up the store. That night, Chuck and Becky get it on, and a mysterious entity attacks Chuck’s leg, and in the morning he can hear it talking." Crumbs was conceived while at art college, the cover here is replicated since the original has long since disappeared, the colors however are new! The first issue actually was Xeroxed by hand at ZEBRA Copy in Sunnyvale, CA under the banner "Hand Drawn" comics, but my bud Derek misread it as "HardDrawn" which I liked the sound of better anyway. There are definite glimpses of my future art style in evidence, the point of Crumbs and HardDrawn is to do things the hard way by hand, no rulers no computer fonts. Here we see me scrape the tip of the iceberg story-wise (I think I've only described the entire tale to my friend Josh and even he doesn't know everything), although what comes around goes around as they say. My handwriting does improve, believe me! Now a lot of the cringey troublesome material that is in Crumb is over 20 years old, times have changed and it was always intended for MATURE readers, you are mature aren't you? Just try and remember that Chuck is an anti-anti-hero and we'll get along fine. Enjoy! -Kg. 9/20/2018